Monday, May 11, 2009

Painting for the Day: "Orchids in a Glass Bowl"


Thanks to each of you that left an observation on
"13 Things NOT to Say to an Artist".
(You DO know I didn't write all those, or ever say them? OK.) It was especially great to see that most of us have been able to maintain a sense of humor about it. Knowing that each of us is not the only one to have endured misguided (even if well meaning) comments helps to confirm our sanity (as in, it's THEM, not us).


"Orchids in a Glass Bowl" .......... oil ........... 9" x 12"

These dendrobium orchids were garnishing the lunch plates when I visited my mother-in-law at her independent living residence recently (she's 90). For some reason, each of the three grandmothers at the table picked up their blossom and put it on my plate. No words were spoken about it, and I'm pretty sure they don't know I'm an artist. Anyway, I took them back to the studio and dropped them in one of my blue glass bowls. They held up for a couple weeks.

...........................................................................................
Ready for a scintillating and intellectual discussion about art?
Visit
FROM THE STUDIO, a bold new blog by
incredibly accomplished artist Margery Caggiano.
.............................................................................................

Don't Miss todays' handy Photoshop Tip on Correcting Contrast.
Very handy for fixing overexposed images.
..............................................................................................

27 comments:

  1. An homage to a artistic spirit? Pretty cool gesture and beautiful painting R.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely orchids and the shadow of the bowl is very nice! The color is delicious!! One further thought re the comments people make to artists -- the thing that totally captivated me when I picked up the first Harry Potter book was the term "muggles" to describe the non-wizarding folks. I try to keep that in mind when I get one of those "compliments" -- saves my sanity every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story, love the Orchids and love the shadow of the blue bowl.
    This is beautiful aRt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful - I especially like your handling of the blue bowl. Some time when you have time, it would be nice to see some progress shots. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a sweet and funny story about the ladies and their orchids. I love that you turned them into a beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful painting, R., and very cool that the ladies gave you the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful orchids and what a great way to make them last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow R.,

    So that's what these are called. You do make them shine. They were the flower of choice at the Thai restaurant we visited for Mother's Day. Afterwards I stuck them in a Waterford Crystal decanter, and thought about you, because you could paint that -- I could just let my sons know I appreciated the dinner, and the sweet gesture of the flowers given to mothers (actually they gave them to every woman in the place).

    Super painting as always,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors are amazing R! Love the story that goes with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really terrific. Love the light shining through the bowl, and the intense bits of color in the background that set off the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely painting and story - both made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for pulling me to your blog to see your wonderful art!

    Would love for you to paint my dogwood - let me know if you need the detailed photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magnificent R, absolutely magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful clean color and composition! That is such a touching story about passing the orchids on that could be taken as passing on heritage or something like that. I love to visit your blog--you offer so much ---beautiful art and entertaining and informative information. You seem to have a really zany humor too, which I love! so nice to have met you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice one R., the painting of course, but also visiting and spending time with your elderly mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really love the color combination and enjoyed the story behind the composition too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, love your work. I followed your comment from Cathie's Diana drawing (I'm the nagging Susan!)--sure glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! So many comments and a BIG Thank You to you all. It's been a busy couple of days and I haven't been able to make it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful flowers...Wonderful painting!!
    I love the glass and the shade...its fab.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marvelous as always, R. Gorgeous background color! They must have SUBCONSCIOUSLY known you were an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very nice painting. good choice of color. It works just great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Art Fan Ack, deepazartz, Jala, and Gary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.