Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Painting for the day: "Got Milk?"


Thanks for all the nice comments in March! I appreciate every one!


"Got Milk?" ................... oil ................... 9"x12"

I found this wooden toy at a thrift store years ago; this is the first time I've painted it. For the most part it was quite enjoyable and I like the simple color structure. I've got to say the hardest part was the milk canisters-- they were a bit like painting eggs. Something about the symmetricality and cylindrical nature. At one point I found myself wishing I'd done this on a hard smooth panel with acrylics, as the slightest bump in the canvas played havoc with the ellipses. but I haven't painted that way in years, so I carried on as best as I could.

Now that I see it small there's couple small details that pop out to me as in need of fixing...maybe tomorrow.

I also looked up the Sifo Milk Truck (ala Antiques Road Show) and found out it was manufactured in 1954 by the The Sifo Novelty Company, located in Norway, Michigan and St.Paul, Minnesota. It's going for $45-60, although mine's missing one milk bottle, and has no pull string. It's fun though; I think I'll keep it around for a model.

Click here for a photo with the funny face and logo.

17 comments:

  1. Gosh, I remember seeing these! My cousins had some in their toy collection. I love your rendition of it. The air and light around these wonderful shapes is superb. Elevates them to such noble stature. love those red wheels, too! fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute toy. Your painting is beautiful! Love the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, That's so cool! I was wodering if someone might recognize it or have one, too.

    Thanks, Akiko! It is a nice change of pace for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely painting...and how neat to find such an "old" toy to use as a prop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love this R. The little bits worn to the wood around the edges are perfect. More please!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful as are all of your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be commenting on yesterday's post, but you have so many comments already. Just want to let you know that you inspire me! I am drawn to your paintings and I love your blog, and am impressed that you put so much into it! I'm going to go paint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kym, thanks! Now that I'm actually LOOKING for old toys, they seem to be harder to find, or overpriced in the 'antique' shops.

    Thank you Sheila, and for always cracking the whip on me ('more please')! I need that and will see what I can do.

    Barb, thank you so much!

    MK, SO nice to hear from you again! Go paint! I want to see what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soooo cute!! and of course beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It takes me back! I'd love to know what you think needs changing, r! It looks beautiful to me...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello R,
    I would love to have your first name...
    As always very clean and beautiful work.
    Its a cute subject that only you can make it so perfect..dont touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I want to emulate you, but I don't think I can. Practice, practice, practice! You inspire me to want to paint more and better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Don't emulate me Christine~ follow your own good and true path. The practice part is true though, and for me, too! Glad I can be inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was one of my Favorite toys as a kid, and I had totally forgotten about it. Thanks for bringing back some great memories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terry, thank you! It's fun that it was one of your toys.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.