Saturday, March 21, 2009

Painting for the Day: Double Betty


"Double Betty" ............ oil ................ 48" x 24"

This painting will go into a 20th anniversary show at a local gallery (group show) where I had a couple of very successful shows a number of years ago. In more recent botanical work, I've been exploring the design and abstract qualities of flowers and plants. The 'Betty' in this canvas is the rose 'Betty Boop', from our rose-packed garden.

Because I clearly have too much time on my hands (?!?), I've started a garden blog, (in addition to the newly initiated cooking blog). I guess the spring weather has me feeling frisky and feeling like I can do it all (we'll see how long I can keep it up!). If you're a gardener or a rose lover, please feel free to lean over our back fence at The Intensive Urban Gardener.

16 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely painting! I'm sure you will have much success in your show!
    I really dig your cooking blog but as much as I love flowers I'm not much of a gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting! I see two cats facing each other in the middle. It definitely has abstract qualities where viewers' imagination expands their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Akiko, how interesting! I will have to see if I can see the cats, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you apparently have way to much time! :) Orange and pink roses have always been my favorite - beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, I love the abstract shapes in this. Interesting though how I can still tell they are flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just see it on a dining room wall it will look great in someones residence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the contrast of the pastels against the dark! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anne and Kim, and David and Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi R - am catching up not only with your amazing works of art, but also with your new blogs. Your climate looks very similar to ours so will keep a close eye on your gardening hints and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Double Beauty Bonus. Unbelievable that you are able to paint AND grow beautiful things. I love this compositional thing you have here. Do a series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool painting.

    I'll check out your garden blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Jala! The garden blog is jsut a couple days in, but hope to fill it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Liz! It's nice to hear from your again.

    And thanks again Sheila, for being such a great fan, and giving me an idea for tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful! Love the design. Betty Boop is a beautiful rose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Edward. Betty Boop is a vey fun rose; so changeable! I like the single roses for their fluttery form.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.