Thursday, March 19, 2009

Glazing Colors and a new title for yesterday's painting!

First off, thanks to Michelle Burnett, a fine artist who helped me sort out the naming dilemma on the Avo/Tom painting, now to be known as 'Tango'. It will also no doubt lead me to the next series... Salsa, Mambo, Rhumba... Thanks Michelle!!!

Another plug for Michelle... check out her monthly painting challenge, 'Following the Masters'. Each month artists are challenge to reproduce a painting from a chosen work of an old master.

Glazing colors

I recently bought this great set of transparent colors in small tubes. This is a great starter set if you're new to glazing.

Schmincke Mussini Oil Colors offers a "Test the Best" Set
— A set of 3 colors in 20 ml (.68 oz) trial-size tubes: Translucent Yellow, Madder Lake Brilliant, Translucent Cyan.
(Available online at Dick Blick art supplies )
I was amazed at how well these three primaries mixed into secondaries... even the violet was not bad, if a little earthy (see the color wheel I whipped up this morning).


For a glazing medium try Winsor Newton's Alkyd, Gamblin's Galkyd, or Daniel Smiths Painting Medium for Oils and Alkyds. All will dry overnight (at least in a drier climate) and allow you to apply successive glazes each day.
.

11 comments:

  1. Yes that Michelle is a jewel isn't she?

    I like how you present your newest finds like this. This is much better than an e-magazine! Thanks R.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila! Glad you liked the comics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi R, Thanks for the mention. :) Can't wait to see the series!

    I love transparent paints so I'll have to give those a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on glazing mediums. I just asked for suggestions at a plein air outing this morning. I was given a 3-part recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michelle, and you're welcome for the mention. I think 'Following the Masters' is a great idea. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill,
    There's a number of way to go for glaze, but a one bottle solution works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will have to try the Schminkes. They look yummy to use. How amazing you are to be able to whip up a color chart, a beautiful painting series, and amazing recipes. Thanks for sharing all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Liz! Schminke makes good paint. Highly pigmented and it goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the suggestion on glazing paints. It's something I've been experimenting with lately and I appreciate the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this info. I agree that transparent oils are just awesome in what they can do and add. I like Holbein transparents and used them for a ceiling mural where I was trying for more brilliant color in the turquoises and violets than I could get with regular oils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mona,
    Yes, I agree that to get achieve certain brilliant colors, glazing is the only way to go. I painted some fushcia-colored orchids a while back, and glazing was the only way I could find to approximate that intense, glowing color.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.