Monday, March 2, 2009

DSFDF Challenge Painting: Wiggin' Out


"Wiggin' Out" . . .. . . .. oil . .. .. . .. 10" x 10"

http://differentstrokesfromdifferentfolks.blogspot.com/

I guess it's called a 'Challenge' for a reason! The original photo from Karin Jurick includes over a dozen heads. Maybe it was the long necked mannequin with the blonde wig and sunglasses, that made me think of Nico from the Velvet Underground, and from there my mind went to Andy Warhol. I wanted a head that would fit in a square, so I went for the profiled mannequin on the middle left.


I thought by simplifying the image (going for a 'posterized' look) I'd save myself some grief and time; no such luck. I forgot how tricky it can be to paint four mostly indentical things in a group. The slightest slip of the brush can really change things.

Sigh. I like the idea well enough, but the execution, eh. If it had been silk screened ala Factory style, that would have been better (at least I didn't brick myself inside a wall like one of Warhol's assistants did). One of these day, it would be nice to nail one of these challenges.

33 comments:

  1. I like the idea AND the execution. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for me you nailed it beautifully. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea! The execution is good too, gives it some dimension. Thanks for your comment on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very Andy Warhol! Love it. I didn't have the time or energy for all those heads. I sometimes think the best thing about DSDF is the brilliant solutions painters find to meet the challenges. Yours is one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea on this one! It really looks good.
    I've had several neat ideas but only after I had already submitted my "blah" one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So R stands for R andy...ha! I think you did nail it. Great idea and great execution. I love the wide variety of takes on this reference photo and yours is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You managed to turn a completely creepy subject into a beautiful piece of Art. It's hands down my favorite of this very difficult DSFDF assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful interpretation...you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Beautiful, creative and definitely an "R." painting. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting and well-done interpretation.
    I keep chickening out on these challenges but absolutely love how differently people's creations turn out.
    Yours is one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Cathyann, Carrie, Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gwen, what a wonderful compliment, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Dana, Sheila, Marion! It makes me feel better about charging ahead against my better instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I agree with everyone else - wonderful idea and very well executed - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Edward! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is a great interpretation. Fun and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Maria! I was going for fun, so I guess I got that part!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is De most amazing painting for this challenge.
    Great idea, beautiful colors and so very Warho.
    Great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Irit! You are so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks nailed to me, too. I like it. Except it's a little drab. You probably should have used a little color.

    ReplyDelete
  21. James Parker... and here I thought you were going to give me a bad time for not fattening them up, like the ladies on your fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great, love the colors too! It's beautifully executed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it...four times the fun! I always enjoy your creative interpretations of the DSFDF challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you did nail it. You are really good. Thanks for your comment, and your tips. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  25. R- LOVE the Jewel-like colors (and the B-52's) You are one smart and ambitious cookie :>)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Carol! You're too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Tom, thanks for being a great bloggin' bud.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my god, this is SOOOO cool!!!! I can't believe you found fault with its execution!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks, Jala! I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.