Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Rose is a Rose is a Rose


"Spiraling Into Control" oil 36" x 36"
The underpainting on this canvas is all in pale shades of orange, as in the lower right hand corner. All the deeper shades of orange and orange red were made with multiple glazed layers of yellows, reds, and magentas.


In honor of cupid's day...
A Rose Is A Rose (as written/sung by Poe, off the Loungeapolooza compilation album)

Jezebel...from Israel...
Who never read a book
Charmed the literati
And a smile was all it took...

I was laughing with Picasso
When she first entered the room
But Gershwin, Tristan Tzara
And Man Ray saw her too;

There was never any doubt
All would try to take her home
But she refused their every move
Preferred to be alone

And a rose...a rose is a rose

Zelda had a breakdown
Fitzgerald hit the bar
His hand was broken, words were spoken
Didn't get too far
Hemmingway was smoother
More debonair and fun
But he would say her repartee
Was meaner than a gun

And a rose...A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose
Said my good friend Gertrude Stein
She knows that I go to the ol' Deux Magots
And I drink Pernod through the night

Before her Joyce will babble
And Pound has gone insane
Eliot is paralyzed by
Thoughts of April rain
When she refused Lenin
He vowed to start a war
Stravinsky beat
The Rite of Spring
Right there on the floor
And a rose...a rose is a rose

A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose
said my good friend Gertrude Stein
She knows that I go to the ol' Deux Magots
And I drink Pernod through the night

And then one night she's missing
A riot soon began
No one could stand the thought of
Jezzie with another man
I raced down winding streets
I broke into her house
You'll never guess who Jezebel
Was kissing on the couch...A rose...a rose is a rose...
Hi Jezzie. Hi there Gertrude
Am I interrupting something?
A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose...


Happy V day!


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Love your work. I'd sign up as one of your followers, but there is no way to do that. ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, Thanks for stopping by. To follow my blog, I think you just scroll down to the end of the right hand column, where followers are listed, and click on 'FOLLOW THIS BLOG'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 36x36...that is one big, gorgeous rose!

    I love Poe. I guess Angry Johnny isn't very valentine-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs and a big smooch to you R.! I love this painting and thanks for the poem. All that glazing ....that's what gives our paintings such depth.

    more HUGS~!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAVEN’T HAD TIME TO DO THE TAG THING, HOWEVER I DID LINK YOU ON MY BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I almost played 'angry Johnny' last night, how funny! Instead I went with Liz Phairs 'Johnny Feelgood'... a bit twisted for V-Day but what the heck, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sheila! Sometimes I glaze and sometimes I don't, but it's almost always an option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Conrad!
    No rush, no time limit...
    Heck, you don't even have to do it at all if you don't want to
    (a couple other 'tagees' are ignoring me and I'm not sure if I should be insulted or what)
    -- but you've got us all curious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your flowers! I remember the first one I saw hanging in the ASL gallery. That was years ago, and they've just gotten better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.