Saturday, February 7, 2009

Photoshop tips: 10. Correcting a black and white image.

Photographing Black and White images, or color images with a primarily white background can present challenges. Often your first try at a photograph can be dark or discolored.

As a first step, take you best shot by setting the White Balance on your camera before shooting; see the White Balance for Color Accuracy tutorial. This will help avoid some color cast and darkness issues.

To correct the raw image:

Update:
Astute reader
Carrie Jacobson sent her husband's tip for correcting black and white photos that is SO superior to what I posted here that I am removing mine. Click here for the updated version.

10 comments:

  1. Just dropping by to say thank you for providing such a great service to us lesser computer literate mortals. I have you on my blog in a special position so hopefully from my side you'll get some feedback. I also think your artwork is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! That is so kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that you dropped by my blog so I could find yours! I am so excited about all of the info you have provided and know that I will be visiting often. I checked out your work on your website and was struck by the vibrant and beautiful colors and compositions. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for continuing with the Photoshop Tips. You've kept them focused and easy to follow, and having created and taught online classes I know how long it takes to put all that together. You are greatly appreciated!!

    I'm also honored by the Feb. 4th "tag" and will post my seven items soon. I spent part of today at an oral surgeon (yuck...) so I'm a bit behind with everything.

    I'd decided to share a booth with a friend at SAM, will you be there this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohh... I needed this lesson.
    Thank you R.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for having a glance at my meagre blog, and your nice comment;
    that have reminded me to come back to yours, to learn about Photoshop, because I've noted it in a corner of my mind,but each time postponed with different excuses,but I really need to improve my pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Annie, nice to meet you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cheryl, Yes, I've committed to the Summer Art Market (and probably should BE committed!) See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For anyone who has followups on this post:

    I just wanted to mention I've completely rewritten my last photoshop tip because another artist sent me much faster, easier approach to the darkness correction. See the floowing day's post. Thanks for your visits!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.