Monday, February 16, 2009

Illustration for the Day: Jungle Goddess


"Jungle Goddess" watercolor 4.25" x 6"

As promised, another one in the 'goddess' series... actually the use of 'goddess' was from my good friend Synetta. I did many of these with her in mind and she is truly a goddess to me. At the time I didn't realize how imbued with symbolism and all that the word was or I would've used another term (though I don't know what). This lovely in the jungle no doubt owes some kind of debt to Henri Rousseau.

2 comments:

  1. Your large size ladies are beautiful. This one remind me of Gauguain with the tropical foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dominique. Yes, you're right, a bit of Gauguin in there as well (but prettier girls). When we were in Tahiti we visted Gauguin's house/studio. The locals seem to view him with mixed feelings; they were not happy that the women as he painted them were so sturdy and unattractive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.