Friday, January 23, 2009

Photoshop tips: 4. Hue: How to Correct Color with the Hue/Saturation Command

Just to show that the pros don't always get it right, either! I took this painting to a professional photo lab and paid to have a good image of it put on CD. I have to admit I was dismayed when I got it back-- my lovely chartreuse dahlia (seen at left in the final edited image: Sunny Mandahlia, 30'x30") was now leaning seriously into orange--!
(I have the feeling that digital cameras are programmed to shoot a full spectrum of color; when given a monochromatic image, it 'confuses' the interface and it tries to make up the difference, with sometimes odd results.)


Using Hue to edit and refine your artwork photos.
In the sample below, I've opened the original file and made a duplicate layer to edit on, as before. For the purpose of the tutorial, I've made a second 'control' image to help show the changes in progress.


To begin, click Ctrl + U (Cmnd+U for Mac users, or Image/Adjustments/Hue-Saturation on the top toolbar. This will bring up the Hue Saturation dialog box.


For this image, which I want to be less red and more green, I've moved the Hue slider to the right. Notice it doesn't take much; I've only gone from 0 to 10.

Note that the Hue adjustment method tends to work better on predominantly monochromatic images like this one; if your artwork encompasses more than a short range of color you may get some surprisingly interesting (if not useful) results.



Originally when I set this tutorial up, it was to show how to correct the color shift using the Green and Red Channels in Levels. While this can be done, I found that in this instance, using Hue was much more expedient. I'll revisit the issue of color adjustment with Levels at a later date, with a different image.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing that you MacSpeak also R.

    Thank you again for taking the time for giving us these lessons. Are you doing the DSFDF challenge? I'm trying to gear myself up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can't do anything about it now but was there something you have done to help me with the glare on the painting I have up today?

    I tried no flash, indirect light but because of the dark background I still have that white haze. Remind you of a challenge we just did ? LOL
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila, I posted a new lesson on correcting glare today (1/26); hope it's helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really great advice. I am going to spend some time here when editing my next post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Aaron! Hope you find the tips useful. With Photoshop, can do a whole lot with just a few steps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.