Monday, January 5, 2009

On the Idea of Commissions: Tropical Island


Oh boy would I love the chance to do something like this again!
A travel agency commisioned this mural.I built and stretched two canvases, approximately 4' x 10' and 4' x 7', later installed on the specially built wall (which afforded me the luxury of painting in my studio rather than on location. Painting in public is something I've never gotten used to).
This was also another entirely invented scene (with obvious affection for Matisse and Rousseau). I did get a lot of books on birds, etc. from the library.


(detail)

4 comments:

  1. Wow... (are you tired of hearing me exclaim that?) The ideal public art job to work in your studio and not have every amateur art critic looking over your shoulder giving their two cents. Maybe one day.... I can dream can't I?
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, please, DO dream on! That's what gets us all to the Good places, right?

    Thanks for your great comments. It's nice to have comments so we know someone sees our ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey R- Your Rousseau stylings are gorgeous! Talk about pulling it off convincingly! I tried to paint a Rousseau-style cat for my boss last christmas and it turned out more Art Nouveau than anything! Im pretty sure he never attempted a gator :>) You make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thaks, Tom! This was a fun project. Wish more like this would come along.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.