Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Painting for the Day: "I've Got the Blues Again"

Why have I got the blues again, you might ask.
Well, winter, holidays, low bank accounts might be a starter.

There might be other things but you'd have to ask me.

This little painting was an experiment, something I did to amuse my summer art market boothmate (a ceramicist who had started making giant toothpaste tubes in fired clay). We thought it might be fun for our booth if we echoed each other's subject matter in a few items.

The other part of the experiment was to TRY and paint looser, like so many of the artists I admire at Daily Painters do. I love those artists who can define a fully dimensional shape with 3 or 4 simple brushstrokes. It doesn't seem to be in my nature, but it's good to stretch now and then, right?



"I've Got the Blues Again" oil 9" x 12"

PS, Tom, I'm trying to figure out how to fix the link to your blog, which sends me to log in at feed burner. I think this must be a glitch. If anyone has a clue on how to fix it, let me know. I've logged a trouble ticket at: http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help-publishing/browse_thread/thread/1f769368d6f63b60#

Tom's very cool New Mexico blog is: http://tompohlmansouthwestpaintings.blogspot.com/
Check out his painting of the 'sputnik' sign at the Comedor De Anayas.

2 comments:

  1. R. You had me at "Blue". Great colors and large tubes of paint are always a winner. I know what you mean about painting loose, I still wanna be an impressionist when I grow up. Also, I just wanted to comment on your blogger-savvy-ness. Your site is looking great. I love your links to other bloggers on the right...nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R. Love the blues...nice looser strokes, something I can't do...good job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments! They always make my day.